Publishing Design Final Compilation and Reflection

 2th April 2026 (Week 1)  -  10th June 2026 (Week 8)

Publishing Design - Section 02

Insha Thahirah Rajab - 0360671

Bachelor's Degree  in Creative Media (Honors) - Taylors University

Final Compilation and Reflection



*


CONTENTS

Instructions

Task 1 - Exercises 

Task 2

Task 3(A)

Task 3(B)

Reflection


*



INSTRUCTIONS


Figure 1.6 Module Information Booklet (PDF), Week 1(15/04/2026)


*



TASK 1 - EXERCISES 


EXERCISE 1 - Signature Folding Systems



Figure 1.7 Signature Folding System (Open), Week 1(22/04/2026)



Figure 2.1 Book format folding style (Stapled), Week 1(22/04/2026)



Figure 2.2 Signature Folding System (GIF), Week 2(29/05/2026)


EXERCISE 2 - Text Formatting


Figure 1.0 Text Formatting (PDF), Week 3(06/05/2026)



EXERCISE 3 - Van De Graff & Classical Grid Structure


Figure 2.5 Van De Graff structure, Week 1(22/04/2026)


Figure 2.6 Van De Graff structure for margins, Week 1(22/04/2026)


Figure 2.7 Van De Graff structure with Margins and Columns, Week 1(22/04/2026)


Figure 2.8 Van De Graff structure with Margins and Columns (Settings), Week 1(22/04/2026)


Figure 2.9 Van De Graff Exercise using formatted text, Week 2(29/04/2026)


Figure 3.0 Van De Graff Exercise (PDF), Week 2(29/04/2026)


Figure 3.7 Van De Graff Exercise with Text Formatting(PDF), Week 2(29/04/2026)

EXERCISE 4 - Mock Up Making

Figure 3.8 Mock-up Measurements Week 2(29/04/2026)

Figure 3.9 Folded Paper Book Mock-up with measurements Week 2(29/04/2026)

Figure 4.0 Final Book Mock-up (Closed), Week 3(07/04/2026)

Figure 4.1 Final Book Mock-up (Open), Week 3(07/04/2026)

Figure 4.2 Final Book Mock-up, Single Page Mock-up, and Measurement Guide, Week 3(11/04/2026)



Figure 4.3 Final Book Mock-up (GIF), Week 3(07/04/2026)



EXERCISE 5 - Determining Grids

Figure 4.4 Determining Grids (PDF), Week 3(07/04/2026)


This was the chosen grid with text:

Figure 4.4 Chosen Grid with Text (PDF), Week 3(07/04/2026)


*



TASK 2 - CONTENT GENERATION



Figure 1.3 Text Formatting (PDF), Week 3(06/05/2026)


Figure 1.4 Text Formatting with highlighted text (PDF), Week 3(06/05/2026)



Figure 1.7 Visual 1,2, Week 6(27/05/2026)


Figure 1.8 Visual 3,4, Week 6(27/05/2026)


Figure 1.9 Visual 5, Week 6(27/05/2026)


Figure 2.0 Visual 6, Week 6(27/05/2026)


Figure 2.1 Visual 7,8, Week 6(27/05/2026)


Figure 2.2 Visual 9,10, Week 6(27/05/2026)


Figure 2.3 Visual 11, Week 6(27/05/2026)



Figure 2.4 Visual 12,13, Week 6(27/05/2026)


Figure 2.5 Visual 14, Week 6(27/05/2026)


Figure 2.6 Visual 15, Week 6(27/05/2026)


Figure 2.7 Visual 16, Week 6(27/05/2026)



Figure 2.9 Thumbnail Visuals (16 pages), Week 6(27/05/2026)


Figure 3.0 Thumbnail Visuals - 16 Pages (PDF), Week 6(30/05/2026)

Figure 3.1 Visuals - 16 Pages (PDF), Week 6(30/05/2026)

*



TASK 3A - BOOK 


Figure 4.5, Book Thumbnails 1, Week 11(07/07/2026)

Figure 4.6, Book Thumbnails 2, Week 11(07/07/2026)


Figure 4.7, Book Thumbnails 3, Week 11(07/07/2026)

Figure 3.0 Thumbnail Visuals - 16 Pages (PDF), Week 6(30/05/2026)



























Figure 4.0 All Compiled Book Images, Week 12(13/07/2026)

Figure 4.1 Final Book Video Flip through, Week 12(16/07/2026)


Figure 4.2 Final Book Flip through (GIF), Week 12(16/07/2026)



Figure 4.3 HeyZine PDF to Flipbook (WebFile Embed), Week 12(18/07/2026)

























Figure 4.8, Book Spreads (23 Images), Week 11(07/07/2026)


Figure 4.9 Final Book (PDF), Week 11(07/07/2026)

*



TASK 3B - VIDEO


Figure 5.9 Video with Voiceover, Week 13(20/07/2026)


Figure 6.0 Final Published Video (No Voiceover), Week 13(20/07/2026)



*


REFLECTION


Experience: Publishing Design was a module I didn't expect to be as abstract as it was. With every class, my fascination for layouts, text, and visuals grew, and I began to wonder how far I could push the boundaries with designing a book. The topic I chose was something close and personal to me, a fictional story i admittedly came up with in almost one sitting. To me, I enjoyed the print process the most. Watching my work come to life in physical media was joyous, and I was pleasantly surprised with the image quality. This was a work I could say I was incredibly proud of, something that felt very much like me. The work I may have struggled with was the final video. It was unclear to me what was fully expected. I love gathering inspiration and reference, however could not find many for this. I hope my abstract approach makes sense to lure audiences in, and make them curious to read my book.

Observations: The growth in my work and understanding of publishing design stemmed from observations of others work: classmates, past pupils, and professionals in the industry. This was prevalent through my layout designs and grid making. I applied a lot of my findings into this area of my work. Using physical paper through Task 1 helped me understand how bookmaking works, which was definitely something very new to me. Classmates advice and help also took me a long way, I was able to understand the signature folding system, page sizing, and how to bind and print the final book.

Findings: With my findings, I was able to make a mood boards, gather inspiration for all my visual and layout references. Many YouTube tutorial helped me understand InDesign, such as their shortcuts and master pages. Going through past pupil's work helped me format and organize information on my e-portfolio, ready for grading.


*


Comments

Popular posts from this blog