Publishing Design Task 3A - Book & Task 3B - Published Video

2th April 2026 (Week 1)  -  10th June 2026 (Week 8)

Publishing Design - Section 02

Insha Thahirah Rajab - 0360671

Bachelor's Degree  in Creative Media (Honors) - Taylors University

Task 3A - Book & Task 3B - Published Video 



*


CONTENTS

Lectures

Instructions

Exercises

Feedback

Reflection


*




    *


    INSTRUCTIONS


    Figure 1.0 Module Information Booklet (PDF), Week 1(15/04/2026)


    *


    TASK


    Timeframe: Week 09 – Week 12
    Deadline: Week 13
    Description: In this final task you will be required to adapt the content of your book (Task 3A) for the purpose of promotion using motion graphics. This content will then be uploaded onto YouTube or Instagram to promote your book.

    The video can be between 10–15 seconds or more if necessary.

    We live in an age where content is consumed through the screen of your mobiles or computers. Social media is used as a platform to publish content and promote its features or uniqueness.

    Every new product, its services or look and feel is communicated through appropriately designed video content. You have all learned how to use Adobe After Effects since semesters

    1. You may choose to use other professional grade software should you wish.
    In this task you are expected to use the visuals, book content and design to creatively promote said book. Think about the use of music, sound, narration or effects carefully. An individual should feel compelled to purchase your book after viewing the published video.

    Requirements:
    Laptop, Adobe Creative Suite, Eportfolio (Blogspot), Gmail Ac, Facebook Ac, etc.

    Submission:
    • Eportfolio: All gathered information (failures, successes, epiphanies, sketches, visual research, printouts, websites, images, charts, etc.) must be documented logically and chronologically in the eportfolio for the duration of the task in one post.

    • Eportfolio: All images/sketches/diagrams/scans must be captured/photographed/scanned well with good, even, natural light, without shadows — use of tube/bulb/flash light is not allowed. All images/sketches/diagrams/scans must be labelled (fig 1.), described and dated. Final submission must be indicated clearly (distinguishable from process work) and uploaded as an interactive PDF and JPEG (not PNG), in thumbnail, in spreads, as InDesign CC doc embedded into the post as simulated books or as instructed in class.

    • (Only if instructed) Tasks to be documented in a printed A4 enclosed in a Clear Sheet, logically and chronologically. The works must be labelled and dated – use pencil and write neatly.



    TASK 3A - BOOK

    1. Content

    Attached below are my final text content and visuals I generated for my book:

    Figure 1.1 Book Content (PDF), Week 3(06/05/2026)

    Figure 1.2 Book Visuals (PDF), Week 3(06/05/2026)


    My book needed a cover design. I worked on multiple versions, gathered as much feedback. This was my earliest design:

    Figure 1.3 Cover Design 1, Week 9(25/06/2026)


    It didn't particularly stand out to me and wasn't eye-catching. Sir did not like this one. This was my second version:


    Figure 1.4 Cover Design 2, Week 9(30/06/2026)


    The design didn't feel cohesive with my book visuals and the typography felt too demanding. After some critique and reflection, I reworked it further:


    Figure 1.5 Cover Design 3, Week 10(04/07/2026)


    After more thought and test printing, I came up with my final cover and back design:



    Figure 1.6 Cover Design 3, Week 10(06/07/2026)

    2. Size Format + Grid System


    Figure 1.7 Mock-up Measurements Week 2(29/04/2026)


    Figure 1.8 Final Book Mock-up (Closed), Week 3(07/04/2026)

    Figure 1.9 Final Book Mock-up (Open), Week 3(07/04/2026)



    3. Layout, Formatting, Grid References


    These were some of my layout references that I used as inspiration for my book:


    Figure 2.0 Layout Reference 1, Week 4(14/04/2026)


    Figure 2.1 Layout Reference 2, Week 4(14/04/2026)


    Figure 2.2 Layout Reference 3, Week 4(14/04/2026)


    Figure 2.3 Layout Reference 4, Week 4(14/04/2026)



    Full Inspiration Board (Layout, Visuals, Colour, Final Video) - https://pin.it/3e8LH7QmZ


    Through the Van De Graff Exercise, I picked my final text formatting, chose the colour, style and overall first-look at how my work would look. This was the outcome:

    Figure 2.4 Chosen Text Formatting, Week 2(29/04/2026)


    Figure 2.5 Chosen Text Formatting(PDF), Week 2(29/04/2026)


    Afterwards, In Exercise 5, I chose my grids. This was my selection:

    Figure 2.6 Chosen Grid with Text, Week 3(07/04/2026)


    Figure 2.7 Chosen Grid with Text (PDF), Week 3(07/04/2026)


    This was the settings I used for the margins and columns:


    Figure 2.8 Chosen Margin and Column Settings, Week 3(07/04/2026)


    4. Chapter 1


    I started creating chapter 1 for my book, using the relevant visuals, quotes, and text formatting. I used a graphic for the the cover as a sample. This is the final outcome:


    Figure 2.9 Chapter 1, Week 5(23/05/2026)

    5. Chapter 2


    I got feedback and reworked chapter 1, then moved on to chapter 2:


    Figure 3.0 Chapter 3, Week 6(02/06/2026)


    6. Chapter 3


    Lastly after fixing chapter 2 with sir's feedback, I worked on chapter 3:


    Figure 3.1 Chapter 3, Week 7(12/06/2026)


    I added the newly updated back and cover page and it was ready for test printing. I kept the cover and the chapters separate to be stapled together:


    Figure 3.2 Cover and Front Page for BW Print (PDF), Week 8(18/06/2026)


    7. Printing + Reworking


    I printed a BW version with the earliest cover design. This was what it looked like:


    Figure 3.3 Cover and Front Page BW Print, Week 8(19/06/2026)


    Figure 3.4 Chapter 1 Page BW Print, Week 8(19/06/2026)

    Figure 3.5 Chapter 1 Page (2) BW Print, Week 8(19/06/2026)


    Figure 3.6 Chapter 2 Page BW Print, Week 8(19/06/2026)


    Figure 3.7 Chapter 2 Page (2) BW Print, Week 8(19/06/2026)


    The cover design had to be changed, and I was told to do Subtext in a different colour to help it stand out, as well as make bigger distinctive headings. I then did a colour print, with all the changes made:

    Figure 3.8 Cover and Front Page Colour A3 Print, Week 9(24/06/2026)


    Figure 3.9 Chapter 1 Colour A3 Print, Week 9(24/06/2026)

    Figure 4.0 Chapter 2 Colour A3 Print (Zoomed In and Out), Week 9(24/06/2026)


    Figure 4.1 Chapter 2 Colour A3 Print (Zoomed In and Out, 2), Week 9(24/06/2026)



    Figure 4.2 Chapter 2 Colour A3 Print (Zoomed In and Out, 3), Week 9(24/06/2026)


    Figure 4.3 Chapter 3 Colour A3 Print (Zoomed In and Out), Week 9(24/06/2026)


    The printing place was only able to print on a3, so the sizing wasn't accurate, however the large sizing helped understand the image quality and spot any imperfections, even with layout. I wasn't happy with this cover. I redid the file with my updated cover and then printed a colour print book in perfect binding to see the final outcome of how my book would turn out. I did a test print of the new colour cover first, Then the final book.


    Figure 4.4 Updated Cover and Front Page Colour A3 Print, Week 10(29/06/2026)


    Figure 4.5 Perfect Bind Cover and Front Page Colour Print, Week 10(29/06/2026)


    Figure 4.6 Chapter 1 Page Colour Print, Week 10(29/06/2026)


    Figure 4.7 Chapter 3 Last Page Colour Print, Week 10(29/06/2026)




    After printing it in perfect binding, many imperfections came to show. Although I was already reworking many of the text, moving certain elements as I progressed, I noticed that the back design of the book did not suit the front nor did it fit the theme. 

    I also calculated that my bleed needed to be increased due to the folding of the book making some text get lost in the margin. I spoke with sir and he suggested I make a different file specific to printing and adjust the bleed. The digital copy can have the original bleed settings. The file also needed to be exported as pages rather than spreads, for the print place to be able to bind it as a book.

    This was the file with bleed, ready for reprint:


    Figure 4.8 Task 3A Book Print File with Bleed (PDF), Week 11 (03/07/2026)


    9. Final Print


    This was my final Mockup Print:


















    Figure 4.9 All Compiled Book Images, Week 12(13/07/2026)


    This was my final video flipthrough:



    Figure 5.0 Final Book Video Flip through, Week 12(16/07/2026)


    Figure 5.1 Final Book Flip through (GIF), Week 12(16/07/2026)


    10. Final E-Book 


    I uploaded my work to HeyZine PDF to Flipbook. This was my submission:



    Figure 5.2 HeyZine PDF to Flipbook (WebFile Embed), Week 12(18/07/2026)


    11. Final Book


    This was a thumbnail version of my final book:


    Figure 5.3 Book Thumbnails (PDF), Week 11(07/07/2026)

    Figure 5.4 Book Thumbnails 1, Week 11(07/07/2026)

    Figure 5.5 Book Thumbnails 2, Week 11(07/07/2026)


    Figure 5.6 Book Thumbnails 3, Week 11(07/07/2026)


    These were my final page spreads: 

























    Figure 5.7 Book Spreads (23 Images), Week 11(07/07/2026)


    This was my final digital submission of my book:


    Figure 5.8 Final Book (PDF), Week 11(07/07/2026)



    TASK 3B - PUBLISHED VIDEO

    To start off the planning of the video, I started off watching the video tutorials Mr Vinod posted up, and then creating a very very rough draft storyboard and visualization of how I want my final video to look:


    Figure 5.9 Rough Storyboard, Week 12(10/07/2026)


    I realized that since most of my visuals were photo manipulation and editing, my video had to be based on the kind of aesthetic and vibe, as well as the footage I can get rather than a fixed storylong. Using the rough storyboard and visuals I had in my head, I started searching up keywords on vecteezy to gain as much footage I could use to later edit as part of the book's narrative.


    Figure 6.0 Using Vecteezy, Week 12(11/07/2026)


    Figure 6.1 Vecteezy Footage, Week 12(11/07/2026)

    I then imported my clips onto After Effects and added the footage in order, I included some text and kept it as a mockup to show sir my visual direction:


    Figure 6.2 Importing Footage to After Effects, Week 12(12/07/2026)


    Figure 6.3 Video Draft 1, Week 12(12/07/2026)


    Sir said I needed to include the visuals from my book and not just use footage. He suggested some audio or music as well. After class I was experimenting ways to include the pages of the book without it feeling static. I watched a few tutorials online on how to make images appear dynamically and was playing around with a photo moving effect on a new project:


    Figure 6.4 Trying New Transitions After Effects, Week 13(18/07/2026)


    Figure 6.5 Draft 2, Week 13(18/07/2026)


    I still didn't like how it turned out and decided to go a completely different direction. I wanted to give the aesthetic of the first video but by using the visuals of my book. I thought that using more effects, alterations can make the images feel less flat and moving, I considered dividing the images I used into layers so I could manipulate them individually.


    Figure 6.6 Visuals As Footage, Week 13(20/07/2026)


    I made the switch from After Effects to Capcut as it was easier to add effects to images. This was my workspace:


    Figure 6.7 Capcut Workspace, Week 13(20/07/2026)


    I decided to add a song for my background audio. I chose Radiohead's "Everything In Its Right Place" (Part of their KID A album) for the audio as it deemed fit for the theme of this publication.


    Figure 6.7 Radiohead's Kid A Album, Week 13(20/07/2026)


    I made two versions of the video, one with Voiceover and one without. I started including captions for the one with voiceover.


    Figure 6.8 Video with Captions, Week 13(20/07/2026)


    The captions felt too distracting, so halfway i decided to scratch it off.  I also made updates to the QR image to the updated flipbook. 



    Figure 6.9 Video with Voiceover, Week 13(20/07/2026)


    Sir gave some feedback regarding changing the text from "Pre Order Now" to "Read the book now". I decided to go for a version without voiceover for my final. 


    Figure 7.0 Final Published Video, Week 13(20/07/2026)




    *


    FEEDBACK

    Week 10

    General Feedback: 1.  All pages must be complete. At this stage you should have completed printing your black and white mock-ups and observed areas that need improvement or discussed areas of improvements with me. 2. This final stage requires you to test print colour pages in actual size and then proceed to identify type of paper and print your colour mockup. This needs to be shown and approved. 3. The above two processes must be documented clearly and presentably in your eportfolio (Task 3). Your ability to take good pictures of your final book mockup and present it clearly but also presentably is critical. 4. You will need to upload your PDF on a ebook site and embed it in your eprotfolio. 5. Once the above is done you will need to adapt the content of your book (Task 3A) for the purpose of promotion using motion graphics. This content will then be uploaded onto YouTube or Instagram to promote your book. This will also be embedded in your eportfolio for Task 3. (The video can be between 10–15 seconds or more if necessary. We live in an age where content is consumed through the screen of your mobiles or computers. Social media is used as a platform to publish content and promote its features or uniqueness).

    Specific Feedback: You need to redo your cover page, look at published books and add the relevant content at the back. If you want to take your work one step further, make your subtext a magenta or any CMYK colour. You need to colour print and show your work to me. Make sure to check if your file is in CMYK before printing, you need to ensure the colours print nicely on the paper. 


    Week 11

    General Feedback: When looking at past student's Task 3(B) you will notice a different brief from the one we are required to do. Do not copy their format, rather use Task(B) as a post for your own motion graphics book promotion. It can be minimum 10-15 seconds, as long as you like but not too long. Be creative, make it attract viewer's attention. Start off by making a storyboard. When photographing prints for your e-portfolio, make sure the angles are clear and interesting, make sure the front, back, and inside pages are clearly shown.

    Specific Feedback: Redo your back design, but for next week I need you working on your moodboard as well as Video Publication. If your info in the book is left aligned it would be the same here too. Follow the size of your body text for the summary. There needs to be a white border around the barcode.


    Week 12

    General Feedback: Take photos of your book in clear lighting, high-quality images with interesting angles. Be sure to show the quality of paper, binding used, show some pages, and the front and back pages. Include this in your promotional video, or even include a QR.

    Specific Feedback: You need to include your book more in your video. Alongside these stock video clips, include visuals from your book in a way that has a bit of motion, and showcase your book at the end. Find ways to integrate this. Include some ambience music or even a voiceover if that is something you're interested in.


    *


    REFLECTION

    Experience: Task 3 was very hands-on, lots of drafting, print mockup and checking was done. I got to view the progression of my book not only as a digital copy, but in physical media. Learning print, bleed, colour and sizing was interesting and eye-opening to the world of publishing. I heavily enjoyed task 3A over task 3B as I prefer the concept of physical media and reworking the same concept since Task 2 felt easier to carry out. Feedback was crucial in this stage as reworking was essential for a perfect final outcome. 

    Observations: While watching how sir took pictures of the mockup book in class, I was able to understand what was to be expected from my photos. Also, through looking at classmate's printed books as well as their published videos, I was able to gather inspiration for mine, and helped me determine which type of binding and paper quality i preferred.

    Findings: With my findings, I understood many layout references and what I had to do to achieve them. Through each print process, I was able to gather imperfections and understand the differences between digital and physical publishing. Experimentation, trial-and-error was key and I found that multiple attempts were better through development.


    *



    Comments

    Popular posts from this blog